Thursday 4 October 2012

Paddock Paradise!

To manage and improve the grazing at Fairview we are putting in a track system for the winter turn out - I found this interesting page that I pasted from someone else who has a similar sized paddock and took the time to do some tests "tracking" their horses movements - with some interesting results - making the system work as a rather large hrose walker! :  

Tracking Movement:

So how do you know it’s working?  The biggest comment I get from folks is… “but my horse has run-in board and is kept in a large pasture they can move all the time.”  I tell them that’s a great start but unfortunately the horse is still on lamanitic grass and though you think they are moving all the time so far my findings show they really don’t!  How do I know?  By GPS tracking of course!

3 Acre Grass Turnout (good):
  • Time: 12.5 hours
  • Distance: 2.2 miles
  • Speed: never went faster than a walk
================================================================
Feeding SMHN on the Track (better): 
  • Time: 11.5 hrs
  • Distance: 3.3 miles
  • Speed: 10x during the day was at a strong trot or canter
================================================================
Spreading Hay Around the Track (best):
  • Time: 8hrs
  • Distance: 3 miles
  • Speed: 8x during the day was at a strong trot or canter

No comments:

Post a Comment